Saturday, May 21, 2022

Do the work - Steven Pressfield : The myth of motivation

 


In 2017.05.08 I read 'The War of Art' and 'Turning Pro' by the same author (Steven Pressfield) as 'Do the Work'.

First of all, I bought 'The War of Art' and 'Turning Pro' from eBay and they cost me 48.81$ (LKR 18,059.7 /=)

After reading both of the books I was motivated and even stated on social media that this book is like an energy drink.

But from 2017 to 2020 I was living a turbulent time having a very confusing lifestyle which reflects that like the books by Steven Pressfield represents 'Resistance' (Negativity of life and attitudes) won during that period.

But due to sheer luck, I was able to again find a job in a licensed commercial bank in Sri Lanka (Sampath Bank PLC) from June 2020.

In April 2022 I was not in a focused mentality, career-wise or in my personal life leading to many foolish decisions. (Starting an MBA)

I also purchased a load of books in Sinhala and English leading me to be empty pocket with cash in hand.

But then I saw a website called "Jumpbooks.lk", an online bookstore by a Sri Lankan which sold, the third book of Steven Pressfield's book series.

"Do the Work" by Steven Pressfield cost me Rs. 2990 which is overpriced considering its content and quality-wise. 

The book gives the readers the knowledge required to complete a project or any other work by breaking it up into several steps, planning it properly, not giving up until it's finished, and also by not fearing failure.

But besides the powerful words and his own experiences which are condensed into 98 pages, the book feels mythical and not a mutual experience hence feeling the reader is not motivated but rather misguided.

The two books that were previously published were much more focused where the review link is shared below.

https://bookerreadsdaily.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-war-to-motivation-2-books-to-change.html

Anyway, success is not just powerful words is the message to the reader of this review about "Do the Work".

 





No comments:

Post a Comment